Spring temperatures and St. Patty’s Day has put a little green in the air and that got me thinking about Kent’s unique shade of green. In Kent, green is more than a trendy label, it’s a lifestyle.
Green living isn’t just Kent’s annual Who’s Your Mama Earth Day Celebration – it’s waking up in the morning and turning on the low-flow shower head, taking out the recyclables, biking to work, riding the local bus to a Kent State game and turning off our energy star light bulbs before bed.
That’s the Kent promise.
- A promise to honor the legacy of the Cuyahoga River that runs through downtown Kent with walking trails, interpretive elements, parkland, and recreational opportunities including kayaking, canoeing, tubing, and fishing.
- A promise to surpass the City’s sustainability goals
- A promise to make our carbon footprint smaller each year through new solar, geothermal and energy conservation projects
- A promise to protect and restore the local ecosystem through land conservancy and well-head protection
- A promise to uphold our Green Building Ordinances and prevent the encroachment of development into environmentally sensitive areas
It takes commitment, perseverance and insistence that natural resources come first; without compromise. It takes rolling up your sleeves and wading along the river’s edge to keep the Cuyahoga River clean.
Did You Know…