The Woodchoppers Ball is a benefit for The Northeast Ohio Coalition For The Homeless featuring 9 of the best acoustic guitarists in the universe Sunday December 3rd at 7:00 PM at The Kent Stage at 175 East Main Street in Kent Ohio 44240, 330-677-5005, www.kentstage.org .
This annual concert event consists of 9 guitarists, 3 guitarists on stage at a time playing round robin each taking turns playing a song till each has played a total of 4 songs. Great guitarists surounded by and following fellow great guitarists means that everyone is at their very best and makes for one very incredible show for the audience and a whole lot of fun for musicians that rarely get to see each other much less get to perform together on stage.
The guitarists this year are:
- Michael Kelsey- Lafayette, IN- Winner of Guitar Centers 2004 Guitarmageddon contest out of over 3000 guitarists from all over the country at Eric Claptons Crossroad Festival at The Cotton Bowl in Texas. www.michaelkelsey.com
- Alex Bevan-Madison, OH- Emmy Award winning legendary Northeast Ohio singer songwriter guitarist who may be best known for his hit single “Skinny Little Boy”. www.alexbevan.com
- Antoine DuFour- Montreal Canada- 2006 Winner of Canadian National Fingerstyle guitar contest and 2006 3rd place winner of The International Fingerstyle Guitar contest at The Walnut Valley Festval in Winfield Kansas. www.candyrat.com/artists/AntoineDuFour
- Brian Henke- Bay Village, OH- 2000 finalist at National Fingerstyle guitar Contest in Winfield Kansas whose latest CD “The Nature of Light” is recieving radio play on folk and New Age shows all over the World.
- Todd Hallawell- Maidens, VA- A Clinician for Lowden Guitars he has also won the 97 Southwest Regional Fingerstyle Championship in Tucson AZ and the 97 National Fingerstyle Contest in Winfield KS and is also a regular performer at The Chet Atkins Apreciation Society in Nashville.
- Neil Jacobs- Columbus, OH- Performing all over the world this 12 string guitar master has had his American Gypsy CD nominated for an Independant Grammy Award, has done film scores and been a professor of Balken/Gypsy music and history studies at Alfred University in New York.
- Andy McKee- Topeka KS- 2004 2nd place and 2005 3rd place in The Canadian National Fingerstyle Contest , 2001 3rd place in The National Fingerstyle Contest in WinField KS this Candyrat Records recording artist is currently touring all over Asia and Canada. http://www.candyrat.com/artists/andymckee/ and www.andymckee.com
- Robin Kessinger- St Albans WV- This master flatpicker has won flatpicking championships in West Virginia, Ohio, Georgia and Kentucky and the 85 National Flatpick Championship in Winfield KS, has headlined many festivals all the US and has been an instructor at Steve Kaufmans Flatpicking Camp in Maryville TN. www.fiddletunes.com/pages/robin.htm
- David Mayfield- Kent OH- This multi instrumentalist who grew up playing bluegrass music with his family band One Way Rider has won the 2003 guitar contest at TheStringbean Bluegrass Festival in Grey Hawk, KY, the 2002 Kent State Folk Festival Contest and has performed at The Grand Ole Opry at The Ryman Auditorium in Nashville TN. www.onewayrider.com/bassboy.html
NEOCH‘s mission is to organize and empower homeless and at risk men, women and children to break the cycle of poverty through public education, advocacy and the creation of nurturing environments.
As an added bonus this year Time Warner will be there with Random Acts of Music to tape the show live for broadcast on Ohio on Demand.