No matter how good our fire response crews are (and they’re very good) they’re never better than fire prevention. It’s simple really but our lives are full of complications so it’s easy to get distracted or get complacent and let some of the little stuff go. I’ll fix that cord or replace that smoke alarm battery tomorrow. Don’t let tomorrow be one day too late. Here’s a reminder from the Kent Fire Chief why it’s so important to take a few extra minutes to check and make sure that your smoke alarm is working properly. If it’s not, it’s likely the dead battery that you were going to replace weeks ago.
Just wanted to let you know about a house fire we had this morning. While it wasn’t all that spectacular, nor did it create a whole lot of damage to the structure. In fact, if you drive by you may not even notice the boarded up windows on the third floor.
The important thing about this fire was that everything worked the way it was supposed to. There were four Kent State student living in the house. At about 5:50 this morning a occupant heard the smoke detector on the third floor going off ( no one was occupying that floor). She got up, located the fire and tried to put it out with an extinguisher. She had a problem with the extinguisher so she went and woke up the rest of her roommates. One of the other roommates was able to get the fire extinguisher to work and knocked down the fire while the fire department was being called.
Upon our arrival, all of the occupants were out of the house but the smoke had banked down to about a foot off of the floor on the third floor. The majority of the smoke was caused by a foam cushion from a couch which caused heavy black and toxic smoke. (foam rubber gives off cyanide gas when it burns).
The point of this is that if the smoke detectors where not in the house, or if the batteries had been removed like we find in a lot of houses, the outcome for this fire could have been a lot different. It is likely that the fire would have caused major damage to the structure and the loss of life could have been a real possibility.
This incident is a perfect example of the importance of smoke detectors and making sure that they are functioning all of the time. Instead of nobody really knowing about this incident because it was small, the end result is that we could have been on the front page of most newspapers if a student would have died as a result of the fire and no working smoke detectors.
I thought maybe you could share this story in your blog.